Thursday 1 March 2012

Jambo from Kenya, Africa


As I mulled about what I might share in my introductory post with classmates from different parts of the world, this TV commercial (click here to watch) based on the Bible verse John 3:16, from Focus on the Family came to mind. There are two reasons why the commercial resonates with me.

I memorised John 3:16 as a child, when we had only one national TV and radio station in Kenya. Then, I did not have the luxury of choosing what to watch, or listen to, when. So I read books and memorized what I needed to ‘store’ within. Recently when I saw this commercial on the internet and learnt that more than 40 million people across the world had had the opportunity to watch it either on TV or through the internet in a span of 24 hours, I was totally blown by the power of new media - that John 3:16 can speak to me in  Nairobi, Kenya; and speak to you too, wherever you are, in a different time zone, in the same clear and powerful way. That’s the power of the new media. Whao!

No comments:

Post a Comment